Wednesday, September 30, 2009

A stunning moment

I may talk occasionally on this blog about my friend Andy.  He and I are musical soul mates.  There's never been a time when he's suggested a piece of music to me when I've responded with revulsion or contempt.  Even with cases like Gasp, when I'm presented with it and completely not in the mood, the music eventually smacks me right in the gob and makes me listen.

Gasp where power violence before power violence was power violence.  They seem to have erupted like a subdermal infection from SoCal and ooozed out into the world.  I'd never heard of these guys until I was on the road to see Agalloch in Chicago and Andy popped them in.  I was driving, and honestly not really paying attention to the stereo.  I'd heard a lot of PV in my life, and this was standard fare.  But it somehow segued into a solemn, mournful melody without me knowing it.  This whole album is an exercise in the narrative craft.  From peak to valley, trough and ebb, to monstrous rage and all the points betwixt.  It's phenomenal, and complete in its own right.  Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment